FP Instagram Feed

Friday, November 6, 2009

Weekly Update 11-6-09

So here's the FP dealio for this week....

1) 'Sycamore' is still being constructed as we speak. I've been singing the vocal tracks like crazy and have lots of them done now. However I still need to sift through a bunch of them and I also need to attack the bridge section soon. But it is really starting to sound like a song now. Lots of tidying up on some of the details but it will be done very soon. Also, we had to postpone my sister's backing vocals this week on account of a mild stomach flu/fevering I had one day this week. Fortunately it passed quickly and I am happily back on my feet and going full steam again (I hate being sick...such a frustration!) Chances are strong that Charlyn will do her thing this coming week sometime. Fingers crossed....

2) Jake is in Chicago this weekend with his old college roommate and he mentioned going to some sort of professional cage fighting event. Maybe we'll get some Twitter updates from him....?

3) I nearly have all four of my massive studio bass trap panels finished and in place in my studio room. They have consumed a lot of my time (and a lot of sweat) but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with these things. The third and fourth panels are constructed and one of them is already half-wrapped with its coverings. I have approximately two more hours of work on them and then they will be done. Ughh....why does that last home stretch always seems the most grueling? I just want them to be finished so I can move on and get down to business in my studio again. At any rate, I finally made the much needed purchase of a calibration/measurement microphone and will be tweaking things as needed to even out the frequency resonances in my little rectangle studio (rectangle/square rooms are a nightmare acoustically speaking). Can't wait to see how that fares. Hopefully my job as a mixer/engineer will be much easier from now on. But I digress...

4) "Some Other Year" is coming along in the pre-production stage by leaps and bounds. We are completely on schedule for recording Matt's drums during the week of Thanksgiving (he's taking the week off via some vacation days). Consequently, Jake and I have been slightly under the gun with getting our parts up to snuff in order to help figure out where Matt needs to place his accents and cadences. But just this week we were all able to figure out the actual song structure we thought best and it will all be pretty grand when it is finished. And I even have all of the lyrics finally ready (sans a variation in the first chorus) and things are looking up. Everything has its place, including the spots where any of us need to bail out to make room for the other parts, and I have to hand it to the guys for treating things like a blueprint and yet keeping things from feeling too rigid or stiff. It is a lot of work to keep things organized and on track but these guys are troopers in every way. And all of our families have been our biggest support which makes all of the difference in the world. And best of all we are all loving the process of just hanging out and working together.

Now regarding SOY's song structure....Imagine if you will, a vocal melody line in the verse sections, then different vocal lines during the choruses (in a different key no less), and of course those sections have their respective drum, guitar, and bass parts underneath it all. With me so far? Then imagine a bridge section coming along where we all veer off in slightly different directions and all of our instrumental parts swap roles. The kick drum pattern now mimics the accents from one of the vocal lines, the bass pushes things along in a steamroller-esque fashion, and the lead guitar introduces a new melody line that points forward to an upcoming vocal round melody line, all the while everything keeps building, and then we all switch once more and our instrumental parts interchange yet again. Oh and Matt's cymbal crash accents are weaving in and out of his kick drum accents by following the accent patterns from a completely different vocal line. And it just keeps getting bigger and bigger as we truck along. That is what we are organizing at the moment. And remarkably it all makes sense to us and it all sounds pretty amazing to boot.

And that my friends is the very sort of chemistry and creativity that I am loving about FP....Everything just works and flows together and sounds like it was meant to be. And soon you'll get to hear what we've been up to....Are you anxious yet?

So that is a good place to wind this post up. Lots to do and keep track of. But we're doing just that. And it is the most fun ever....

Until next time....

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment