FP Instagram Feed

Monday, December 14, 2009

Weekly Update 12-14-09

Howdy Everyone! Here's the latest....

1) We are done recording (the tracking stage of) Matt's drums for 'Some Other Year' and Jake and I are prepping for our parts here in the not-so-distant future. We finished things up this week and are all elated to have those drums done. So now the lion's share of my mic locker will be set-up on guitar cabs again and I'll start whittling away at the 'SOY' guitars in between recording more vocals on 'Sycamore' and helping record Jake's bass tracks on the new song. So much to do! That all being said, Matt made a statement this last week about how long he has to wait until he gets to experience the fruits of his labor. We write and rehearse each song collectively and then we spend as much time as needed in pre-production for each song before trying to record anything, and then we record Matt doing his thing on the drums, and then he gets to sit back for (what probably seems like) forever until he gets to hear he finished product. He's the 'first man down the hole' so to speak and so he has to wait the longest before he can enjoy hearing his work. Bummer for the drummer. But he's a trooper....

2) 'Sycamore' is coming along. I wish I was a perfect singer. Admittedly I am my own worst critic and I am sure I have trashed a lot of 'so-so' vocal takes that I probably could have dressed up in the mix with some judicious editing. But I guess I keep holding out for the vocal takes that seem to jump out of the speakers and grab me on a deeper level. I had Jake and Matt listen in on what vocal tracks I had settled on so far, and they offered some very good suggestions and constructive criticisms about some specific things, but they were also quick to point out the positive things that they especially liked. And so it became likewise apparent that I sometimes suffer from creative 'tunnel vision' (big surprise eh?) and that when it comes to my vocals (which is fairly new territory for me and consequently an area of insecurity) I sometimes 'can't see the forest for the trees'. Jake and Matt were pretty fond of some vocal takes that I was otherwise doubting. And Jake even made the comment 'I don't know all of what you're hearing in your head, but it's amazing' and I really took that to heart. And I think I really needed to hear that. It pulled me away from some of my OCD fears and boosted my confidence a bit. So tomorrow I plan on hitting the mic again and will keep plodding away at things with hopefully a more open and relaxed frame of mind. Guitar playing is usually a cinch for me and I generally don't suffer from paranoia about my playing anymore. But singing is different. I just need to not be so OCD-ish about the quirks and unusual traits of my voice. Maybe I'll be a cool singer someday....

3) We made the decision not to start recording any new songs until after 'Sycamore' is buttoned up. Partly because 2 songs at once is plenty of work to keep on top of, but also because of hard drive space. I have a 320GB drive on my MacBook Pro but it keeps filling up as we go along. Audio data is immense....

So anyway, there's the short version of FP this week. Stay tuned....

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment