FP Instagram Feed

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Weekly Update 12-6-09

And now for the FP Weekly News Report...

1) Drum tracks for song #2 ('Some Other Year') are 97% finished. (Incidentally, those drum tracks have currently consisted of 11.89 GB of hard drive space from 1,337 files....Good times!) We had an extremely smooth and successful round of recording sessions over the course of the last couple of weeks. All that remains to be recorded drum-wise is the very last outro verse where things finally start to wind down in the song. Matt really nailed his drum parts and I'm thrilled to say that there will be nearly zero editing needed for his drum tracks since we were able to edit-on-the-go (what little editing was required) during his tracking sessions because his performances were so spot-on. Wow. Ironically enough, some of the drum sections of this new song are very complex and tricky, and yet Matt made it all seem very nonchalant and easy. Even a good friend of ours, Todd Nardoni, who loaned us an extra set of ears during the last 'SOY' session, was blown away (and verbally said as much on several occasions) by how 'spot-on' Matt was with his drumming. At any rate, Matt has totally made my job as Engineer and Producer a lot easy than I am normally accustomed to. I could get used to that....

2) Jake begins tracking his bass parts this week. Since we have the bulk of his bass lines already mapped out and organized, I anticipate his sessions being fairly routine and non-difficult for him. Jake is keenly aware of his 'picking dynamics' which is essential for getting good, consistent bass tracks when recording. And like Matt, Jake makes my job much easier than I'm used to. Nothing like working with mature and naturally talented musicians....

3) 'Sycamore' is coming along and I've still been whittling away at the vocals these last couple of weeks. Of course, I'm pretty picky about what makes the final cut in the song, and so it is taking a while. I wish it could go quicker however a lot of the hold-up is me learning what works for my voice and what doesn't. Lots of trial and error going on when I'm recording those vocals. Plus some days I have just plain worn my voice out. It has proven to be much more difficult than I would prefer, but who knows? Maybe I'll make a decent vocalist someday.... :-) If nothing else, all of those failed attempts at singing make for excellent practice. If it was easy then what would be the point of that? When it is all said and done, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing how hard I worked on those vocal tracks every time I hear 'Sycamore' once it is all finished. That day is soon approaching...

4) With the Holidays quickly descending upon us, I do not anticipate starting rehearsals on song #3 ('Marigolds') until after the New Year. We've all got plenty on our plates, both in our personal lives plus as a band, so there's no sense in rushing to do the 'next thing' on our list. Hopefully the Holidays will prove to be time for each of us to recharge and regroup. The old adage 'Good things come to those who wait' comes to mind here. But I must say that after recording the drum tracks for 'Some Other Year' it is very apparent that FP is finding its ideal workflow and methods, and consequently I imagine that 'Marigolds' will go fairly quick once we do actually get started on it. 'Sycamore' has taken so long in part because it was our maiden voyage and we had lots of little kinks to work out of our system. Another old adage 'What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger' comes to mind here as well...

So anyway, I'm turning off the laptop now and going to sleep. Another busy day awaits me in the morning. That's all for this week. Signing out....

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment