FP Instagram Feed

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Weekly Update 2-14-10: The Surgery

Here's the latest for this last week:

This was a pretty productive week for all things FP until Friday at 2 a.m.. At that point my appendix decided to go on the fritz. Of course I didn't realize what was causing the pain until Friday evening at around 7:30 p.m. when I was being rushed into the operating room at our local hospital. But it has been a whirlwind of events once that stupid appendix decided to bite the dust. So now I am fairly sore and bloated from all of the gas they inflated my abdomen with during the surgery. And I also have a little fluid drainage pouch that hangs off of my right side. According to the surgeon, my appendix looked 'rotten and perforated' and it was oozing bacteria everywhere. Good times. So the drainage pouch is gradually vacuuming all of that nasty fluid out of my belly. And the juices coming out look eerily similar to the juices that come from raw chicken meat. Again, good times.

So the only thing for me to do at this point is to rest and keep moving around as I am able to prevent getting any unnecessary stiffness in my muscles. So now I putt around the house at a break-neck speed of about 1.35 mph(?). I can really put the pedal to the metal if I am in the middle of my 4 hour pain med cycle, which effectively doubles my putting-around speed I think. The trick is to maintain one's balance. The pain meds help taper the discomfort but they also make me a bit wobbly on my feet. It's a welcome trade-off though. Anything to curb the pain.

Another funny side-effect of my emergency appendectomy is how it affects my bathroom visits. Taking a leak is easy. And so is going #2 if things down low have been jostled around a little bit. But the real issues involve the aftermath of taking a stool-break. I can't easily reach certain parts of my anatomy to take care of the clean-up. My arms need to be about 8 inches longer to do the trick. And it matters not if I try to approach things from behind or up through the middle. Either option hurts and puts a lot of strain on my punctured belly muscles. Can you say, 'Good times'? Luckily, I am not racking up too many frequent-flier miles in regards to my bathroom visits, and so this isn't a major deal. And as my muscles continue to be stretched and exercised, this too shall pass....

So there's the unexpected latest. Just goes to show you that you never know how any particular day will end. Surprises await us at every turn....

And now back to the couch...

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment