FP Instagram Feed

Friday, March 12, 2010

Weekly Update 3-12-10

Hello Hello....

Sorry for the unusually long radio silence! We've all been very busy, distracted, and otherwise preoccupied! Lot's going on in the world of FP....

1) We are having to legally change our band name from simply 'FP' to 'theFPband'. Yep. You read that correctly. Our official band name shall henceforth be 'theFPband' in order to avoid confusion and potential future legal issues with a little-known (but formerly established) German techno-pop band also called 'FP'. We believe that their 'FP' name is an abbreviation for 'Future Pop' but they have very little useful or indicative information available that will confirm or dispute this. But apparently they have been working as a band for several years.

Now obviously, when we first came up with our simplistic name of 'FP', we underwent a lot of research into whether or not anyone else was already using that as a band name. And to our credit, we never saw anything on the web or otherwise in regards to the German band 'FP'. We figured we were safe with our choice of band name. But we were mistaken. And we only recently came across this other 'FP' band once we had our song 'Sycamore' listed for sale in the USA iTunes Store. This other 'FP' band already had three albums of techno material in the iTunes Store since mid-2009. And our song 'Sycamore' was being lumped in together with their music. Not a good situation. Who'da thunk? I guess we never thought to browse through iTunes for anyone else going under the moniker of 'FP'. Ouch. So we ended up issuing a 'takedown' of our song 'Sycamore' from iTunes (and a slew of other online music distributors), and we have now resubmitted 'Sycamore' under the new band name of 'theFPband'. Once the new iTunes links are up and running we'll post links and remove our 'freebie' links to the song. One step forward, two steps back (or at least sideways)....

2) 'Some Other Year' is busy being recorded. Most of Jake's bass parts are finished and I've recorded several sections of guitars. I will also begin vocals here within the next few days. One thing that is exciting about this song is that I am using a brand new amp for all of the guitar tracks. It is a Line6 SpiderValve MkII 100-watt head (pictured above) and a matching 4x12 speaker cab. And it sounds glorious. I'm mic'ing the cab with an Audix i5, a Shure SM57, and a Cascade Fathead II ribbon mic (with a Lundahl transformer). I'm also using the SpiderValve's direct out as a fourth signal source and I am blending the four tracks to taste. And I like how it sounds and feels. Good stuff. We'll likely post a teaser sample of 'SOY' like we did with 'Sycamore'. Will keep you posted....

3) We're still writing/rehearsing parts for 'Marigolds'. We've been a bit scattered here these last three weeks or so, in no small part due to my surprise appendectomy back in February. Also, we've opted out of a couple 'Marigolds' sessions in order to focus more on actually recording 'SOY'. But things are still moving forward with 'Marigolds'. We've just had a lot on our plates lately. Excuses. Excuses...

('American Marigolds' pic by Petr Kratochvil - Public Domain)

4) On a personal note, I'd say that I am 98% healed up from my surgery last month. I've started doing sit-ups again and I've even gone for a couple jogs. My jogging pace hasn't been much to brag about, but I really haven't been very active all winter, especially in February. But it has felt very liberating to jog again and I hope to enjoy it more this year. Plus my two sons like to jog with me (partly because they like to leave me behind in the dust and haggle me about it later). The first jog was 1 mile, and the second jog was for 18 minutes with a one minute break after the first mile. I think I ran roughly a total of 1.5 miles on that second jog (with an emphasis on the word 'roughly'....it was very rough indeed!) But I'd like to get comfortable with 2-4 mile jogs again. And decent times. I just need to work my way back up to that again. It's been a long winter...

So that's the latest. We've been quietly working in the background (albeit at loud volumes when needed). Good times....

Cheers!

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment