FP Instagram Feed

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Weekly Update 3-18-10

And here's the latest....

1) 'Sycamore' should be showing up on iTunes in the next few days. It is currently on Amazon.com (and a handful of other similar download sites). But perhaps even more significant, I finally got all of Sycamore's data files organized and archived properly! Admittedly when we were working on 'Sycamore' I was somewhat haphazard in how I organized everything, largely due to not fully understanding how best to label things in Logic 9 (the recording software we use to record everything with). And so even though I have been a Mac user for over two years now, there are still some areas where I am figuring things out and am learning new habits accordingly. Hindsight is 20/20 and I am now being more disciplined and structured on current song recordings. The less work I have to do on the back-end of our next songs the better.

2) I've been diligently recording guitars and experimenting with amp tones and mic placement for 'Some Other Year' these last couple of weeks. And it's beginning to take shape rather nicely. That being said, we joked tonight at our band rehearsal that 'SOY' sort of has the 'middle child syndrome' going on. 'Sycamore' was our firstborn, and lately as a band we have been primarily focused on writing 'Marigolds', and so 'Some Other Year' has been seemingly lost in the middle. Poor 'SOY'. But honestly once I get the guitar tones I'm after and am able to find the sweet spots for mic'ing my amp, then 'SOY' will blossom very quickly. As such it is completely written and arranged and just needs to actually be recorded. And honestly it is an awesome song that will stand on its own merits without being too heavily overshadowed by its siblings 'Sycamore' and 'Marigolds'. Like any overlooked middle child, 'Some Other Year' will really attract certain people who take the time to get to know it....

3) 'Marigolds' will most likely be ready for drum tracking in the next two weeks. We haven't been able to rehearse 'Marigolds' for over a month now for various reasons and so I expected things to be really rough and ugly tonight at our rehearsal. But I was wrong. Actually we somehow jumped over several hurdles tonight in the song-writing process for 'Marigolds', and even though I expected the worst, I actually came home feeling 'back in the saddle' as Matt put it. Mind you, we weren't playing 'Marigolds' good enough to where we would feel comfortable performing it publicly somewhere, but that isn't the goal when we're in the writing phase of a song where we are doing pre-production to prep for the recording process. But we worked out the kinks in the song arrangement, and we were able to rough-in the needed fills and hooks in the instrumentation, and my vocal parts are even improving. I actually found a certain grit in my voice that was very flattering and good for the song and that is a major confidence booster for me. And since singing is so relatively new for me (on this level), I could use some confidence boosting whenever I can get it. It's one thing to hear certain vocal parts in my head, but it's something entirely different to be able to actually pull those parts off properly in a live environment. I just need to stay at it and sing every chance I get. But 'Marigolds' is taking shape and we are all excited about getting it done. Most likely 'Marigolds' will be our 'pop' song if ever we are to have one. And of course it has those catchy WooHoo's in it that are simply too fun not to sing along with. You'll see soon enough. And you'll thank us later once the song gets stuck in your head. But don't tell us we didn't warn you...

So that's all for now. I have no idea which song we'll pursue once we have 'Marigolds' ready to record. Maybe we'll post a poll for fans to help us make that decision? After two happy songs ('SOY' and 'Marigolds') we may feel the need to do one of our darker tunes. Or not. Who knows? So long as we don't put ourselves in a creative rut. But seriously I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Until next time....

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment