FP Instagram Feed

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bi-Monthly Update 5-13-10

And so the saga continues...

1) The vocals to 'Some Other Year' have taken a lot more time and effort than anticipated. Go figure. The ongoing onslaught of tree pollen in our area has not helped matters. I have now been to the doctor's office twice for allergies that settled exactly around my voice box. Nose has been fine. Eyes have been fine. But the tree pollen this year seems to have a thing for my voice. Also, we are shooting for having the vocals very 'up close and personal' which means they have to be spot on. Back in the day singers would cover up their mistakes with loads of ambiance (echoes and reverb) and a few other effects that helped smear the details just enough to tidy things up. The only problem with doing that now is the risk of making something sound 'dated'...we're shooting for a more 'timeless' sound that will still sound good in 20 years. As such, it makes singing a much more labored and intensely detailed process. But I do have several parts finished and they sound really really good. That being said I have had to pace myself on singing and working on the vocals in order to avoid bad decisions (unworthy compromises and other unmentionables) and/or burn-out. I suppose it will get done when it gets done....

2) I promised a 'Some Other Year' Preview YouTube video of some sort, and I haven't forgot about that. However I have been flooded with several other non-FP distractions that have required a higher priority. But we do have some sweet video footage of our most recent 'FP Family Night' get-together, including a dazzling (albeit dangerous) campfire explosion. Matt has a method of instantly putting out a campfire with a can of cheap spray paint (or engine starting fluid) and a 12-gauge shotgun. Pretty impressive and the mushroom cloud it creates is always spectacular. Good times on the cheap!

3) 'Marigolds' is currently on hold until I get certain things finished up on 'Some Other Year'. Only so much can be done at the same time. If anything, we may continue to record Jake's bass parts on 'Marigolds' over the next couple of weeks. But at this point my biggest priority is 'Some Other Year'.

4) In my spare time I have been fiddling around more with song arrangement ideas for 'Rabbit Hole'. May is proving to be very busy for everyone on a personal level and so we are postponing writing sessions for 'Rabbit Hole' until the first week of June. Sounds like a long ways off, but it will be here before we know it. Which means I need to keep at it and hit the ground running. Fun fun fun!

That's all for now. Did you notice I titled this post as 'Bi-Monthly'? I've been slacking on these band updates and I thought I better label things accordingly. Will try harder to get on the weekly update schedule again....

Until then...

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment