FP Instagram Feed

Friday, July 2, 2010

Weekly Update: 7-2-10

Just a few quickies here:

1) 'Some Other Year' has made some major progress this week. Last week Jake and I spent a couple hours focused on recording my chorus vocals and this week I have gone through all of those takes and organized the 'keepers'. Sounds easy but it can really wear your brain out just making decisions on what to keep and what to trash. Some takes are obviously no good when played back, but the good sounding ones can be hard to sift through because of all of the subtle differences. What's more...this sort of editing is more technically challenging versus creatively fulfilling and so I tend to lose some of my creative connection to my guitar playing when wearing the Producer/Engineer hat. Ughh. Which leads me to...

2) I have had a fairly crappy week this week in regards to my guitar playing. I think the logical/technical side of my brain is hogging all of its synapses from the creative side. Go figure. But it seems like every time I have picked up a guitar this week (including at band practice) I have fumbled around on the strings as if I am clueless. At band practice this week, Matt was even joking with Jake saying (about me) 'See? He's human...' What an epic fail. Oh well...the pendulum will eventually swing the other way. And it will be glorious (and hopefully that will happen about the time I am scheduled to lay down guitar tracks on something)....

3) 'Rabbit Hole' is still being mapped out on some of the finer details, especially for a bridge section. I still need to come up with some good guitar parts for some accents in the bridge section. This song gets pretty loud and ballsy at that point so I need to figure out some guitar parts to match. Once those parts are in place and have passed the litmus test of 'live playing' at band practice, then we should be fairly close to drum tracking sessions for 'Rabbit Hole'. It has come along quicker than I anticipated. Good deal...

4) Jake has totally delivered some creative genius by way of his bass lines for 'Marigolds' this week. We spent a couple of days recording more bass lines on 'Marigolds' this week and he totally nailed the vibe on what was needed. Got to love a bass player who can discern the fine line of when to support kick drum rhythmic accents, rhythm guitar riffs, or key vocal melody lines, all while keeping his volume dynamics consistent and most all playing with feeling. That's Jakeman in a nutshell....

So that's it for now. Working on three different songs that are all at three different phases is both challenging and fun. Can't wait to show these tunes off in the not-so-distant future....

Peace and Love ~

Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment