FP Instagram Feed

Saturday, November 19, 2011

FP Update 11-19-2011

And here's the latest news in FP Land:

1) We are now getting back on track per recording stuff. Seems like we have all been so distracted lately with other things going on that the recording front has gone quiet. But this week Jake, Robert, and myself have all been able to put some time into getting 'Rabbit Hole' up and running again. And it is starting to sound pretty good! Jake has a few more sections to go and I have several vocal sections that need recorded, but past that the guitars are all mostly there and the drums are done. I've given some thought to adding one more section of banjo but if that happens it should be pretty simple (and easy?) as I feel fairly connected with the banjo right now. We're anxious to get this one out and ideally I'd like it finished by the time Christmas rolls around. Maybe sooner. We'll see what happens. Can't make any promises but it will be here soon...

2) Whenever all four of us are together we are usually working on rehearsing our live performances. Ideally we will start 'playing out' sometime late-winter/early spring. Lots of little kinks to iron out but it's definitely a good time. That being said, we are hoping to play our first couple of public performances a bit 'under the radar' just to help us get a better feel for things as a band. Things like set-up/tear-down, stage monitoring, amount of stage volume, gear choices (etc.) all factor in heavily here and we'd like to get a feel for as many of those issues as we can (out in the real world) before chasing after any higher profile shows. Better to potentially get tripped up at small gigs than at big ones. Should be a fun ride though....

3) I'm still writing new material to some degree but we won't be tackling anything new as a band until we get our live show dialed in. That being said I already feel like I am at a slight turning point in how I write stuff. Not so much from a technical aspect but moreso from the creative side of things. Things like lyrical content, overall musical style, etc.. Not that I am making major changes from what we have already done, but tweaks here and there. It's kind of hard to pinpoint where I feel like I am heading creatively but I feel like some growth is taking place and I feel that I am less worried about what I 'think' people would like to hear and now I'm mainly just writing what I like. For instance, when I wrote 'Marigolds' it was all completely authentic and from the heart, including those WooHoo's, but once that song was finished and we released it, I've not really thought much more about it. Granted it's a song that gets stuck in your head, but 'Marigolds' probably gravitates as far to the 'pop' end of the spectrum as we want to find ourselves going. We aren't an overly heavy band, but we definitely aren't a 'radio' band either. In a way, we still have a long way to go to really 'find ourselves' as a band. But in the end it's all about the journey...

That's all this time around. Thanks for tuning in...

~ Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment